G&C Summer 2017
Blogpost 010
June 30th
June 27th - 30th, 2017 - NADS Field meeting and the Art of Catching Flies
Charlotte saw a bear on the
research forest grounds, an adult black bear trudging about 10 yards between
her and the main building. She was prepared however and knew to back up slowly,
never taking her eyes off the lumbering creature who didn’t seem to be
interested in homo sapiens-cuisine and continued on
its way to wherever bears are hanging out these days. Once Chot was certain she
was at a safe distance from the bulk of predatory wonderment she proceeded to
take pictures for proof of the encounter. So far that’s one wilderness-concern
come to life but still no sign of masked psychopathic wildmen (for now).
picture of the "black" bear
Since
our last journal entry was lengthy I’ll do my best to keep this one under a
thousand words, which may be tricky because I’ll be condensing four days worth
of adventure to said parameters. Fortunately this week was arguably less
eventful (on my end anyway) so we’ll see how this goes.
First
and foremost, I should mention that the reason Charlotte and I were at Lubrecht
Experimental Forest, MT, was so that Chot could go insect collecting while I
stayed behind a t the research center to work on some video editing projects I
current have under my belt. Before we embarked on this multi-thousand mile pilgrimage
I shot two commercials back-to-back. One was for an uncle (featuring a pellet
smoker box) with no real due-date and the other was for a friend/client for
their personal startup company. As you can imagine there’s more pressure to
finish the later project. I’d completed most of the initial first cuts and
animation bits before we left California but took a week off for Jackson-Hole.
That unfortunately meant that this week (for me anyway) was spent sitting on my
tushy and staring into the ethereal abyss that makes up the Adobe Creative
suite.
Snowshoe Hare hanging around the dinning hall
Charlotte’s
week on the other hand was the exact opposite with every day involving multiple
new hunting spots with her cohort. She traveled through forests, mountain
ranges, riverbanks, and even through snow to catch her prized robber flies (by
which she caught a total of 14). But let it be known that catching said robber flies
is no easy matter for I’ve been told that they can see danger coming from a
mile away, seeing as they’re predatory by nature and whatnot. And after each
day’s end my fiancé would spend hours upon hours in the wet-lab pinning and
dissecting her daily catches (in-between the occasional bear-sighting).
Charlotte at the Montana-Idaho Pass
Pretty trillium with snow in the background
We
were fortunate to spend one day this week hunting together on Wednesday the
28th. Our trip was divided into two locations; a riverbank of a valley
in-between two massive Montanan mountains and a forested mountain park teaming
with enough flies to horrify anyone without a diehard passion for entomological
research (like me).
I
did not scream once but that did not stop the occasional EW-EW-EWWWWWW
moments I endured in silence when a bee buzzed past my face or when a swarm of
greasy mouth-puckering houseflies invaded my arm-skin for its rich, salty
essence.
This
wasn’t my first collecting with my love and I’d been marginally successful at
it so Charlotte gave me a net and two collecting vials and cut me loose into
the wilderness like a hyperactive puppy without a clue of where to go and what not
to pee on.
I
was instructed to consolidate my efforts to the numerous horizontal tree trunks
lain strewn about the forest floor as Asilidae (robber flies) have been known
for taking claim of natural structures like these as their own. Asilidae are
territorial predators so a fallen edifice of decaying timber makes for the
perfect place to just watch and wait for food to come to you, as well as a safe
oviposition site.
At
first, both of us were having difficulty finding any Asilidae so we shifted our
hunt to the treacherous slope of the mountain that lay parallel to the park.
Apparently robber flies prefer territories at higher elevations and there were
more than enough fallen trees for them to claim and sure enough there were
robber flies a-plenty. Charlotte’s decision to come up this way would have been
perfect had it not been for the sharp seventy-degree incline of gravel and
loose soil for which we had to cross without slipping whilst stealthily
stalking our microscopic prey. The feat was not an easy one; in fact it was
nearly impossible. Charlotte managed only to bag two asilids while I captured
three bee-flies (who look and act just like robber-flies but aren’t robber flies
and therefor useless). Despite my best intentions my footing, stamina, and eyes
just couldn’t compete with Charlotte’s and so I threw in the towel halfway up
the slope after slipping on a rock and sliding butt-first down several yards of
harsh Mother Nature.
First time ever seeing Bighorn Sheep!
A mom and her baby!
Apparently
the rest of the week’s entomological excursions proved to be less fruitful than
the firsts but regardless, Charlotte had a lovely time socializing with fellow
experts and fly-guys and spent a good, solid chunk of her time making
much-needed dissections. I, on the other hand finished a complete-rough cut of
my weekly project (though tweaking and photoshopping still needs to be
administered). Yet I’d say that this week was a productive one. As I am writing
this, my fiancé and I have already moved on from Lubrecht and are currently
just beyond the threshold of Glacier national park. Tomorrow I’ll write of our
first day in the park and tell of how Charlotte almost killed herself with a
heart attack on the way. CHOW.
Cool Beargrass!
Charlotte overcoming her fear of snakes







Awesome!!!
ReplyDelete