Saturday, June 24, 2017

June 23rd, 2017 - Glad Midsommer

G&C Summer 2017
Blogpost 008
June 23rd

Glad Midsommer (Happy Midsummer)



If you’re a natural born American (like myself) who has difficulty with the basic principle of geography as well as knowing the names of more countries than the two boarding this one and some others that were involved in WWII then you’ve probably never heard of Swedish Midsommer; the Swedish holiday of celebration the summer solstice while simultaneously drinking like it’s the end of days. Now as a natural born American, how did I know that? Charlotte’s half Swedish, or a third Swedish, her dad’s Swedish (sorta), it’s confusing but what I do know is that some part of Charlotte’s genetic code comes from the Scandinavian land of Vikings, ABBA, and economically friendly furniture you can assemble at home. Because of this little/big heritage of my fiancé I’ve slowly been getting exposed to more and more Swedish culture and today just so happened to be their big celebration day.
            I’ll get into that momentarily but first, some notes on the day’s earlier events: After breakfast we spent the morning one horseback (again) which involved a wonderful loping ride through the scenic mountain countryside (again) and it was beautiful and magical (you get the idea).
            After lunch, Charlotte and I retired to our cabin to relax in the early afternoon. Chot worked on pinning insects she caught around the ranch while I finished the first book of my summer reading list: Silence by Shūsaku Endō, which is a marvelous work of fiction themes of self-reflection, doubt, suffering, and philosophy centered around a young Portuguese missionary sent to 17th century Japan in a time when Christianity was both illegal and brutally persecuted.
            I’d like to take a moment here to talk about the book in part because I’d consider it to be one of the most well written pieces of fiction I’ve ever read, but mostly because I’m still riding that I-just-finished-a-book high and I want to geek out a little. Now before I geek, I should explain that I am not a member of the Christian faith and while my family’s mostly Jewish (both parents are half) religion was never an important part of my upbringing. I suppose my parents wanted me and my sister to decide for ourselves what we wanted to believe in. So we never went to church or temple, Christmas was a holiday of family (and consumerism), and we’d only celebrate three-four nights of Chanukah before we got bored of reciting the same prayer again and again (without even knowing what the Hebrew words meant). Despite this near-abstinence of any religious education it was impossible to not be exposed to it, for I was raised in the American south where giant crucifixes on the side of the highway are about as common as the golden arches for McDonalds. It was almost surreal growing up in a society where every other person seemed to be apart of a global club where everybody knew of the same guy and never understanding who the block was and if he was a musician of some kind. Eventually I’d end up receiving a degree in religious studies from my (and Charlotte’s) college of St. Lawrence University along with my degree in Psychology. As one can guess I’ve been very much intrigued by the subject of religion and the psycho-sociological effects it has on it’s believers.
            I hope I’m not coming off as insensitive or patronizing. I genuinely do find all religious fascinating and consider it to be an underutilized study of humanity. I mean, most of the global populace is religious which I, and other religious scholars consider it an unavoidable part of human evolution. I could honestly go on and on, about the subject but for now I’ll just stick to the book. Silence is a dark and depressing story (which is exactly how I like ‘em) which is fitting for it’s feudal Japanese setting; a time depicted in many books and film as being a downright miserable place for everyone except the ruling class. Regardless of the subject or narrative, if a story takes place in a pre-modern Japan then it’s a safe bet one of the key messages is, “everything sucks and brutality is everywhere.” Silence paints a rough picture of life for the Japanese, more specifically the secret Christians of the Japanese populace who if discovered were subjected to what Endō describes as, “inglorious martyrdom.” The book is rife with disturbing acts of cruelty but it’s with that cruelty that brings to light the novel’s true beauty centered on the subject matter of doubt. The novel’s protagonist is constantly bombarded with horror and brutality that forces him to ask those deep philosophical questions we often ask ourselves when the world is at it’s darkest and everything and everyone seem to be out to get you; questions that are often hard to ask and even harder to find answers too and for the most part these questions go completely unanswered; there’s really no true morel or message spelt out for the reader it’s completely open-ended. This can come across as difficult for many readers but I appreciate literature that challenges the reader with uncomfortable, complex ideas that leave you pondering your views on humanity, spirituality, and one’s place in the universe. It’s an existential masterpiece and I can totally see why Martin Scorsese spent the last two decades trying to adapt it into film. I can’t wait to watch it with Charlotte when we get the chance.
            The ranch also held its weekly talent show where guests and ranchers are given the open floor to dazzle the crowd with whatever act or performance of their choice. In traditional Herbert fashion, Charlotte joined her mother and aunt for a song and dance number that was goofy and light hearted. I was next in line to perform though had absolute no preparation (I thought the talent show was for the following day) but I still went up there and recited George Carlin’s poem, “Modern Man,” which is a mouthful of word-play about the needless complexities contemporary people absorb themselves with. I was shaking the entire time and felt as if I spoke too fast but Charlotte seemed to enjoy it and that’s all that really mattered to me. The other acts were as followed; a younger guest strummed a ukulele and sang a popular soft-rock song, a friend of Charlotte’s mother performed a magic coin trick, a rancher sang some country songs on guitar, Charlotte’s dad and some friends performed a parody song of Bon Jovi’s, and a couple of young teens read aloud a fan-fiction they wrote about their horses falling in love.
To wrap up the ordeal Charlotte wheeled out a makeshift micro-museum where she showcased the various insects she caught throughout our stay at the ranch. On her cart was a pinning box (a wooden box with foam in the base for which to present the dead yet perfectly preserved exoskeletons of all manner of microscopic life. Also a part of Chot’s display was a trio of plastic baggies containing the floating chitin bodies she’d be pinning later and her baby; a Wild stereomicroscope with a jewel wasp under the lens for curious guests to examine at their will. My fiancé pulled this last year and it was met with overwhelming positivity. This year was no exception, in fact guests from last year were expecting Charlotte’s traveling insect show and new guests were just as curious to see what microscopic life had been occupying the space around them for the last week.
            Now, on to midsummer; Charlotte has informed me that midsummer is never complete without flower crowns, dancing around a maypole, singing song, eating pickled herring, and downing LOTS of shots, mostly Aquavit. Charlotte’s parents and Lisa put on a lovely party full of happy and well-fed guests and wranglers!
            For this year’s midsummer Charlotte spent a considerable amount of time laboriously crafting flower crowns for the women and girls (none of which proved to be as skilled or eager to help as she) while the ranch guests drank strong drink and ate pickled herring (as is tradition). The celebration was mellow and contained for there was still light in the sky and the real celebrating would unveil with the light of the moon. Charlotte and I, in our traditional anti-social/anti-hardcore partying fashion checked out before any of the night’s intense partying but that’s weirdly how we like it.

            

More pictures to come.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment